Part 2 The next generation Chapter 1 : – Daniel Oriol
Making his way in colonial Perth
This portrait was taken in Perth, in the 1890s when Daniel was in his 40s. Probably for a passport. .
Isidro and Mary Oriol had two children who survived to adulthood – Daniel born in 1864 and Mary Margaret born in 1874.
A member of the new Perth born generation, Dan lived in the centre of a growing city during a period of rapid industrial and social change. This included the development of the motor car, electricity, electric trams and the telephone. His immigrant parents had worked hard and their son was able to enjoy the benefits and affluence which came with their success.
A genial man with an enthusiasm for cars, boats and travel, he led an interesting and eventful life. Although he did not marry, he was a fond and generous uncle to his niece and nephews and was known to all the family as ‘Uncle Dan’.
Outline:
Birth and Childhood.
.Journey to South Australia and birth of brother Joseph in 1866
Growing up with Joseph in Perth – school and in the city in 1870s
Apprenticeship as cabinet maker with father 1886- 87 aged 20 and 21
Making his own way as a businessman - following his interests - importing petrol buying cars and motor boats.
Foundation member of Perth Flying Squadron: business and social connections
Isidro builds 64 Forrest avenue 1897 and Mary’s marriage. Dan is 33
Travels to the Paris Exhibition in 1901 , owner of early de Dion Bouton car
Dan the driver in the 1903 race to Armadale.
His friendship with Harry Dyer. and pioneer car owners like Jack Winterbottom
Development of Bon Marche. Dan helps Isidro to manage his assets
Rudder Cup 1910 ocean race: winner with power boat Challenge. Details of race and presentation.
Social – mayoral events with parents, Mary and Joe. e.g. TGA Molloy in 1906 at the Exhibition building
1912: Isidro death and funeral -. .
Managing business after father’s death –renewing lease of BM etc.
1918 Mother’s death
Relationships with sister Mary’s family and nephews – getting Len job in Winterbottoms in 1920s. Family picnics
After Joe’s death in 1929 ‘takes place of father’ for nephews
Last years (1930 - 36) living at Mary’s with young Tony , Diabetes
Dan dies and leaves his estate to Mary's children. Buried in Family Grave in Karrakatta.
(c) H. Natt 2024
Daniel: The first born son
Daniel, Isidro and Mary’s first surviving son, was born on 21 August, 1864, at Casa Oriol, 20 Goderich Street, Perth and baptised on 28 August by Fr. Martin Griver at the new Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Victoria Square.. In keeping with Irish naming practice he was christened Daniel after Mary's father. The witnesses were William Simple and Mary Ryan. A son had been stillborn in 1863 so this was an occasion for great rejoicing . Mary would lose three more sons in the coming years. (1)
'Casa Oriol' 20 Goderich Street, Perth on far right with leafless tree in front. The white building with two chimneys is probably Isidro's workshop. View from Town Hall c. 1870 (SLWA No
Casa Oriol was the family home from January 1862, when Isidro bought Town Lot 16, until just before daughter Mary’s marriage in 1897 (2). It was a comfortable cottage with a welcoming front veranda facing Goderich Street in central Perth, between Barrack and Pier Streets. Behind was Isidro's workshop where he made furniture and carried on his trade as a carpenter .
It was a couple of blocks west of Victoria Square and the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as the Ladies College of Convent of Mercy and the Catholic Boys School where Mary and Daniel would go to school.(3) In 1898 the address 20 Goderich Street was changed to 137 Murray Street.
Isidro and Mary were delighted with their first son. Mary was accustomed to caring for children but looking after her own baby was very different and she and was fascinated by the changes as he grew in strength and curiosity. She was a loving and dedicated mother and was kept busy while Isidro developed his furniture business.
1865: To South Australia
However in 1865 business was slow and many people were leaving the colony. Perth was in recession, food was expensive and when Daniel was eight months old his father, unhappy with his prospects in Perth, decided to try his luck in South Australia. Daniel and his parents set sail on the coastal trader the Sea Ripple on 12 May, 1865 for Adelaide. (4)
When they arrived in Adelaide in late May. the Oriol family were met by Isidro's friend ex-Brother Joseph Ascione, who was working on a chapel for Bishop Reynolds. Like Joseph Ascione, Christopher Reynolds had arrived In Perth as an Irish postulant, with Bishop Serra in 1849, but left Perth soon after because of ill health and settled in Adelaide. He became a priest and later Bishop of Adelaide. Isidro, with his experience as a builder and cabinet maker, had hoped like Ascione to find work in Adelaide and probably did, although no record has been found (5).
The following year, 1866, Mary gave birth in Adelaide to a boy who was christened Joseph. The date is unknown as there is no record of his birth or baptism in Perth or South Australia. Isidro found Adelaide a disappointment and was also deterred by the sight of ticket of leave men from Perth who crossed the road to avoid him The family returned to Perth, arriving on 7 April, 1867 on the Emily Smith after a very rough voyage when Isidro had to help care for Mary and his two small sons (6).
Back in Perth
Returning to Casa Oriol they discovered that Perth was changing. Across the road
from Isidro’s shops in Hay Street, convicts and other artisans were working on an impressive new building with a tower and arches – the new Town Hall which would be finished three years later in 1870. When it was opened, markets were held under the arches but they were not successful and Mary preferred to continue buying her food and vegetables from the carts of market gardeners selling food door to door (6).
Town Hall c. 1900) Postcard from RWAHS.
1870 was also the year that Dan started school at the Catholic Boys School in Victoria Square. Sometimes his mother would walk him to school or he went with friends who lived nearby, including the Boladeras boys and girls whose father had a store across the road in Goderich Street. Dan tried hard at school but found writing on a slate and reading were difficult even though his father would help him when he had time. The teachers were strict and physical punishment was common - –once when Dan was beaten his father went to the school and ‘told them off (7).
As the boys grew older Daniel and Joseph became good friends and when Joseph began school in 1872, Dan kept a protective eye on his young brother and helped him with his reading.. At the award ceremony at the end of the year both boys received prizes for reading from Bishop Griver – Joseph in 1st Class, 2nd division and Daniel in 1st class, 1st division (8).
At Casa Oriol, in the middle of the city, the boys could hear the chimes of the Town Hall clock, the gangs of convicts in chains clanking on their way to and from work and the curfew at night. The dusty city streets were busy with tradesmen riding to work on bicycles, big draft horses and carts creaked along with goods to the shops. The gentry came by in their carriages with two or four trotting horses and sometimes the boys would have a ride in one of the hansom cabs. After school they would catch gilgies from the nearby swamps or go fishing in the Swan River.(9).
1874: a death and a birth.
Daniel at 10 was old enough to help his father in his workshop or in his furniture shop in Hay Street. Two years later, in 1874, his mother became pregnant again and Joseph too became ill. On 18 April, he died from an unknown cause, possibly a common illness such as measles or dysentery. Daniel and the family were devastated. Joseph was buried in the East Perth cemetery in what would become the family grave.
A few months later, on 27 July, his only sister Mary was born and the excitement of a new baby was a distraction from the loss of his brother (10). In spite of the 10 year age difference Mary and Daniel got on well and became good friends.
Daniel growing up
Daniel left school when he was about 12, and was apprenticed to his father as a cabinet maker, assisting with the heavier work and learning the skills involved in making high quality furniture. In 1886 and 1887, aged 20 and 21, he is listed in the W.A. Almanac as a cabinet maker. Isidro was over sixty and may have hoped that his son would take over his furniture business while he managed his properties. However this does not seem to have happened for although Dan helped his father, he also made his own way and followed his own business interests such as importing petrol which was hard to obtain in the days of early motoring (11).
The gold boom in the early 1890s increased the demand for accommodation, land values rose and so did business opportunities for Isidro and Daniel. English entrepreneur E.T. Hope had moved his department store Bon Marche next door to Isidro's shops in Howick Street. Following his sudden death in 1895, Bon Marche was bought by South Australians George Cargeeg and Elias Dimant. who developed it as a high ‘quality’ department store (12). Soon all of Isidro's land on lot 16 was leased by the very successful and expanaded Bon Marche store.
In 1896 Dan visited Melbourne and it was on the return trip to Albany on the coastal ship Adelaide that he probably met Joseph John (Joe) O’Hara – two O’Haras were on the passenger list (13). J.J. O’Hara was a charming man and got on well with Dan and the Oriol family. Thanks to Dan’s connections at the Perth Flying Squadron. Joe found work immediately as the Coolgardie manager of a prestigious English mining company, West Australian Goldfields. He also met Dan's young sister Mary who must have been impressed. Joe continued working in Coolgardie for the next two years until late 1898, making frequent visits by the new railway to Mary in Perth.
1898 Mary marries Joe O'Hara
In 1896 Isidro had engaged architects M. Cavendish & Co to design a town house on land he had bought in on the corner of Plain Street and Forrest Avenue, East Perth (14). It was, he and Mary decided, time to leave the bustle of the growing city and lease his property in Hay and Murray Streets to Bon Marche.
In early 1898 Isidro and Mary left Casa Oriol moved to their impressive new house ‘Hillcrest’, 64 Forrest Avenue. East Perth was a fashionable suburb and it was quiet and peaceful after life in inner city Perth. Forrest Avenue was originally called Cemetery Road, and lead to St. Bartholomew's Church and the Perth (later East Perth) cemetery (15). The street was lined with trees and the house on the hill had spacious rooms and verandas and fine views across the site of Queen’s Gardens, and the causeway to the Swan River (16 ) .
'Hillcrest' 64 Forrest Avenue, East Perth c.1920. (Oriol Collection)
Meantime Joe O'Hara had proposed to Mary and they planned to marry in Perth in September 1958 when Joe's work with West Australian Goldfields in Coolgardie was completed.
For the next few months Mary and Isidro were busy preparing for Mary’s marriage to Joe O’Hara which took place at St Mary's Cathedral on 9 September 1898. The large reception was held at their new home, 'Hillcrest' and described in exuberant detail in the Social Notes of The West Australian .(17) After their honeymoon in Fremantle, the newlyweds may have continued to live with Isidro and Mary at least temporarily. Joe was no longer employed by West Australian Goldfields in Coolgardie but found clerical work in the office of Isidro's lawyer G.F. Stone, later Stone James.
Dan seems to have continued living at Casa Oriol for a while and enjoyed riding his new bicycle. Although horses and horse drawn buses and hansom cabs were still usual methods of transport in Perth in 1898, bicycles were becoming so popular that 'Perth was considered the bicycle capital of Australia' (18)
Hay Street c.1898 looking east from William Street, before the arrival of electric trams and motor cars. (State Library of WA BA1299/12)
A week after the wedding, on September 14, 1898, D. Oriol featured in the ‘weekly batch of prosecutions’ by officers of the Municipal Council (for breaches of Council regulations). He was summoned to appear in the Perth Police Court, before Mr. A. S. Roe, P.M. charged with ‘having propelled his bicycle along the footpath in Murray street'. But as the street was muddy, 'a caution was deemed sufficient*.
Others were not so lucky: Two boys were summoned for kicking a football in the streets at Highgate Hill. ' The ball had struck a horse, and caused it to bolt with a baker's cart. As well as a lecture 'on the possible calamities resulting from footballing in the streets' the boys were fined 1 shilling with 4s. 6d costs. And 'no fewer than 21 cases of trespass by cattle or horses were set down for hearing’. (19)
In April, 1902 Dan was looking after the family business interests, seeking tenders for work on a right of way in Town Lot 16 and Bon Marche. Note his address is still 135 Murray Street formerly 20 Goderich Street.
'TENDERS wanted for the REMOVAL of Sand and Laying Down Sleepers and Fencing-in Right-of-way. Apply D.Oriol 135 Murray St.' (formerly 20 Goderich street) (20)
Of Automobiles and Power Boats.
But Dan's real interest and passion was for cars and he owned one of the first in Perth– a three wheeler de Dion Bouton which, according to his grand-daughter Doreen Daly Smith, 'he got at the Paris Exhibition' in 1900 or 1901. The car made the neighbours unhappy. It made the horses bolt and the milkman threatened to sue him. A man had to walk ahead with a red flag '. (21) (DDS)
No records of Dan’s car have been found but Dan was overseas in England in 1900 and returned to Albany on board the RMS Oroya on 8 September, 1900 so it is likely that is when he bought or arranged the purchase of a car.(22) ( Motor dealer Percy Armstrong claims to have brought the first real ‘modern’ car into WA 'an 8 hp de Dion Bouton from England in 1901‘. ‘Many early de Dion Boutons can be found in WA’ which may have included Dan’s 3 wheeler. Only a few of cars appear to have be registered before 1926.(23)
Dan was certainly active in early motoring and is pictured here at the ‘First organised Motor run in West-Australia, Perth to Armadale on 1 February, 1903 with his friend Harry Dyer driving a Humberette (Dan Oriol is the driver of 2nd car from left). (24)(
In the First Organised Motor in West Australia, Perth to Armadale, Dan Oriol is driving Harry Dyer's Oldsmobile, 2nd Car from Right (Courtesy York Motor Museum).
The group of pioneering motorists drove from the GPO to Ye Olde Narrogin Inn in Armadale and of seven starters only four managed to reach the inn.
‘In those days to get any motorised contraption to keep going long enough to cross town was a win. To get it to Armadale and back was a major achievement and to get it back again the same day verged on a miracle…Mr F. W. Cato, [who was on the 1903 run] writing in WA Motorist and Wheelman in 1915 recounts his experiences with a turn of the century de Dion Quad: “To start you had to set five levers – fuel, air, spark, compression, and low gear. After putting a cup of petrol in the carburettor you went behind and pushed it. Then you had to run along the street after it and jump in.” The cup of fuel would last 64 km., then the carburettor would have to be refilled and the starting process repeated.’ (25)
For some years the Veteran Car Club staged a re-enactment of the event.
The Oldsmobile with Dan Oriol driving and Harry Dyer, owner and passenger, near the Swan River before the race.(Photo Dyer family archives)
Harry Dyer and Dan Oriol were also members of the newly formed Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club, which included yachts and motor boats, and they are in the list of members in 1903-4. Harry owned a 29 foot yacht Momo and Dan a 24 foot power boat Osprey. Motor boats would become Dan’s lifelong passion and the ‘Squadron Club’ was where he spent much of his time (26).
The Perth Flying Squadron from 1897
The Perth Flying Squadron was formed by a group of yachtsmen who separated from the Royal Perth Yacht Club, thinking it was ‘too exclusive’. The first meeting was in 1897 and among notable citizens in attendance were G. F. Stone, Isidro’s lawyer. At the first general meeting on July 16 1897, Mr. H. J. Saunders, Lord Mayor of Perth, was elected patron. Saunders was also an attorney for the English mining company Western Australian Gold Mines, which employed J. J. O’Hara, the man who became Dan's brother-in -law (27).
While Dan may not have been one of the 34 foundation members at that first meeting, he was certainly an early member (listed in the annual report of 1903-4) (28) and doubtless knew Saunders. Dan's connection would have helped the newly arrived J. J. O’Hara obtain a position with West Australian Goldfields as manager of the Coolgardie office.
In ‘Flying at Bricklanding: A History of the Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club’, Stuart Joynt and Peter Hick describe those early days and the new club house
‘Those were gold boom days. Money was plentiful and on July 1, 1899, tenders were called for the erection of a clubhouse at the foot of William Street.
‘The editor of ‘WA Yachting Annual’ wrote: The Clubhouse is a business-like structure and contains a locker and sail room on the lower deck and above is a commodious social hall, containing two small billiards tables, piano and reading accommodation together with a bar. From the windows is obtained a splendid view of Perth Water and its spacious verandas offer a seductive (sic) lounging place on a summer’s night’. (29)
The first Flying Squadron Club house at the foot of Barrack Street, before its closure to make way for the Narrows Bridge in the 1950s, and its move to the Dalkeith foreshore.
The club house was an important part of Dan’s life and he spent many hours there working on his boats and enjoying billiards and other business and social activities.
The club also included power boats and by 1903 there were twenty at the club, ranging from Coolgardie MLA, A.E. Morgan’s 60 foot steam launch to a 13 foot 2 hp boat and including Dan Oriol’s 24 foot ‘Osprey’ with a 5 hp. Union motor. (Annual report 1903-4) (30)
Dan was a very enthusiastic member and a prize winner in several races - including this Saturday afternoon race in 1908, reported in the Western Mail
Under the auspices of the Perth Flying Squadron a successful motor race was held on Saturday afternoon. Of a fair number of starters, the following were the prize-winners Uncle Sam (H. Rhodes, 7min.), 1.16.9, first; Osprey (D. Oriol, 22min. 5sec). 1.83.14, second; Star (T. H. Millett, S8min. 55sec), third. Irene retired with a damaged rudder (31).
Dan Oriol and the ‘Rudder’ Cup
But the high point of his career was winning the impressive “Rudder” Cup with his power boat Challenger on 29 May 1910. Valued at 30 guineas, the cup was donated by Mr. Fleming Day, the proprietor of the "Rudder" Magazine to Western Australia ‘for competition among local motor boats over a course of 100 sea miles’.
After the Royal Perth Yacht Club delayed scheduling the race for 18 months, the Cup was passed to the Perth Flying Squadron, who arranged a race to Mandurah ‘within a few weeks’. It was a splendid prize and the race aroused a lot of interest.
Rudder Cup (Oriol Collection)
The 'massive silver Rudder cup' was on view in the window of Mr. F. U. Schrldt's furniture establishment in Hay-street and featured the blue ensign of America and England and the 'Rudder' flag. The flag of the Perth Flying Squadron would be added and 'the donor Mr Fleming intended to visit 'the Australian States' at an early date (31).
The conditions for entrance were simple 'Entrance fee, nil ; course, 100 nautical miles; crew, not less than three; a life-belt for each member of the crew to be carried, as well as provisions for 48 hours ...it was suggested a mast and sail be carried (in case of accident). The prize was the honour and glory of winning the race, to be materially represented by the thirty guinea massive silver cup.' (32)
The Rudder Cup Race
There was great local interest in the race to be held on the night of Saturday 29 May and Sunday 30 May, 1910. It was the first time a race of 100 sea miles for motor boats had been held for in WA and the course was from Perth to Mandurah once and from Perth to Fremantle twice. There were 10 entries from different clubs on the river, each boat starting on a handicap.
Dan was a keen and experienced sailor but had not won any major races and he and his crew made careful preparations, including making accurate charts as he was determined to complete the course. The first boat left 'Mill Point' at 11pm. on Saturday night and Challenger with Dan and his crew of two left at 4.36 am on Sunday morning .
Fortunately, accordingly to the West Australian correspondent. 'conditions were almost perfect... the sea was relatively smooth even through the South Passage, and the bright moon helped to decrease the danger of the course.'
There were few if any accompanying boats and 'the craft pluckily enough fought their own battles unaided'. But of the nine other boats that started only four finished. Mishaps to the other five included striking the Point Walter and Lucky Bay banks and 'accidents to the machinery'.
Challenger finished at 4.12 pm on Sunday afternoon and the second boat Pug, finished half an hour later. .. The winner represented the Squadron Club, and the second boat the Royal Perth Yacht Club. Claremont was represented by the Zior [fifth]. The cup, which is valued at 30 guineas, now becomes the absolute property of Mr. Oriol’ (33)
The Challenger with crew (Western Mail, Sat 4 June 1910, Page 26).
The presentation of the Cup at 'a most enjoyable smoke social' was a big occasion for the Squadron Club -- and the winner. Presenting the Cup, Commodore Greer commented that the number of entries, seventeen, was comparatively small for such a valuable trophy as the club had only held the Cup for a fortnight but nevertheless the race had been the most successful of its kind ever held in the State.(Applause) In reply Mr Oriol expressed his gratitude to 'Rudder' magazine for the trophy and his gratitude to the 'members of his crew. who had so successfully worked Challenger during the race' (34).
The meeting also included entertainment, with songs from members and 'a 'sketch' by Mr. W, B. Scott, solo on gum leaves by Mr. Carr Boyd, conjuring tricks, and chorus songs’ (35)
The annual report published in the West Australian notes that the Rudder Cup was by far the most interesting event held at the Club during the year and continues:
It was open to boats of all the Western Australian clubs, and the scene at the start and finish of the race was a memorable one. The contest resulted in a win for the Challenger, owned by Mr. D. Oriol, one of our keenest motor-boat owners, and he was heartily congratulated on his splendid performance, the whole distance being covered without a single stop, the time taken being 13 hours 8 minutes '(Note the start and finish times suggest it was in fact an hour less) . At a subsequent smoke social, at which the Cup was presented, Mr. Oriol kindly presented the club with a handsome picture of his boat, Cup, and crew. …[And] most present were in agreement that the past year was the best in the history of the squadron’ (36)
Dan's 'handsome picture' and the Rudder cup, showing its age. (Photo Terry O'Hara)
For many years the ‘great big Cup’ and this 'handsome picture' of Challenger, had pride of place over the mantelpiece in the large billiard room which Dan had built at sister Mary’s grand house 64 Forrest Avenue, East Perth. The house was demolished in 1964 and now, in 2024, the impressive photo and the Cup –a bit the worse for wear –are cared for by Dan's great nephew Terry O'Hara.
Dan Oriol and his power boats
Dan bought and sold several boats. On 10 December, 1910, ‘D. Oriol, Flying Squadron, is selling a ‘motor launch, 35 ft. 10 h.p. Union engines and cabin, good order’, which sounds like the Challenger. (The West Australian, Saturday December 1910, p.15, Advertising). Perhaps he was downsizing after his Rudder Cup victory because on December 21st he is coming second in a handicapped race with another smaller boat ‘The Idler’. The winner, Challenger, is now owned by Jack Winterbottom. ‘A close race ensued amongst the first three boats to finish,- the times being as follows:-Challenger (£5), 5-0-5, 1; Idler (£2), 5-0-25, 2; Zive (£1) 5-1-26, 3’. (37)
An earlier photo of Idler, taken six years earlier when it was owned by A. & W. Kennedy and won the first time trial held on the Swan River in November 1904 (38)
Dan did not marry and ‘lived his own bachelor life living in hotels’, one of which the gracious Grosvenor Hotel in Hay Street, still survives This was a common practice for single men and women at the time as they did not need to worry about running a household and had freedom to travel at will. Shipping records show that Dan travelled overseas quite frequently.
In 1915 the club 'said a 'good bye' to Mr. D. Oriol. one of the oldest, members of the club. Mr. Oriol leaves for an extended trip to Europe on Tuesday next'. (39) He was accompanied by nephew Leo O’Hara on this visit to England (40)
He continued racing – taking part in the Ugly Men’s Association motor boat race at a carnival in Mosman Bay in 1919 aged 65. It was open to all boats on the Swan River and ‘Many of the best and fastest boats will be competing’ and Dan was in his motor boat Atlas. (41)
Dan the business man
Dan became more involved with his father Isidro's businesses as his father grew older and frailer. In 1907 a fire destroyed part of the Bon Marche store, including the section leased from Isidro, and plans were made to rebuild it (42). When the impressive new building, designed by well-known architect J. Talbot Hobbs, was completed in 1911 it incorporated Isidro's part of Lot Q16 which was leased to Bon Marche Limited, a private company and quality department store. (43)
Bon Marche store in Hay Street in 1911. (RWAHS Cyclopedia of WA 1912)
The imposing store, occupied the entire sloping block which was two storeys at the Hay Street entrance and three storeys, including a basement, in Murray Street. It could be also be entered from Bon Marche Arcade in Barrack Street. After his father’s death in 1912, Dan had a major role in managing the family's share of the property (44).
On September 23 1908 the men of the family – Isidro and Dan Oriol and Joe O'Hara– attended the funeral of an old family friend, builder and contractor James Corbett, who was buried at the East Perth Cemetery (45) James had married Helena Mary Boladeras and one of his sons would be a pall bearer at Isidro’s funeral a few years later. The family were also on the guest list for the Lord Mayor T.G, Molloy's Civic Reception ('the most brilliant function yet held. in Perth" ) a couple of days later at the Exhibition Building in Adelaide Terrace. (46)
When his father died in 1912, Dan was executor of his will and together with lawyer and family friend Walter Dwyer, arranged the settlement of probate and continued to manage the family’s business affairs. This included organising and renewing the leases of the Bon Marche property. (47)
He was also involved in a dispute with architect Edwin Summerhayes over the cost of work on Bon Marche extensions in 1913. Summerhayes took Dan Oriol, John P. Bridges, and Walter Dwyer as trustees for the late Mr Oriol, to court but the defendants won the case. (48)
Other business deals were more harmonious and involved cars and boats and, according to his great-nephew Tony O’Hara, included importing petrol, which in the early days of motoring was difficult to obtain. Tony lived with his grandmother from 1932 when he was 18 months old and his parents split, until he was 18 or 20. He was about six when ‘Uncle Dan’ died in 1836 and knew him quite well as Tony and Dan both lived with Mary in Dan's last years.
Uncle Dan and O'Hara family memories
Although Dan was a bachelor, and lived in hotels including the Grosvenor in Hay Street, he was a regular visitor to his sister Mary’s family and a fond uncle. All Mary’s children and great nephew Tony, remember him as ‘Uncle Dan’, kindly and a nice guy, very generous with the family. He was something of a hero to them too with his glamorous boating lifestyle and frequent travels..
Dan often included Mary and her children in his boating activities. His niece Doreen O'Hara remembers ‘Friends? He had boating friends and boats galore. He was always winning races. We used to go out a lot to launch picnics at Point Walter and have lunch.’ (DDS 1980s)
His nephews also used to go out with Dan in his boats and Len, Doreen’s younger brother. born in 1905, recalled: ‘
Dan was like a father to me. After Dad died he came and lived with us. He would take me out in his boat and let me drive it. It was a nice launch, the Challenger I think it was. There were others too. There was a big cup at home all silver and gold. He went to his club every day - the Flying Squadron - went on races to Rottnest, that sort of thing. I’d go sometimes.
'Dan never married (When I quoted Tony’s term ‘playboy’ he firmly disagreed). Women annoyed him - they didn’t seem to appeal to him. He was interested in cars and boats. He spent every day at the Perth Flying Squadron working on his boat. He had plenty of money but he was very thrifty - one reason he never married I suppose (laughs). He was very generous with the family. More or less took over from Dad.’
When Len left school (Christian Brothers College in the Terrace) in 1920 Dan, who knew motoring pioneer W.J. (Jack) Winterbottom, got him a job selling cars at Winterbottom Motor Company, though he didn’t have a driving license for another year (aged 17). Len worked at Winterbottom Motors for 10 or 12 years and it was there he met his second wife Flora Devoretsky. (Memories from Uncle Len O'Hara, March 2002). Dan seems to have been a hero to his nephews, including Len. Like Dan he was keen on cars and drove racing cars and later learned to fly from aircraft pioneer Ron Brierley. (See photos of Len racing and flying)
Although Dan didn’t live permanently with Mary until he was older, he always spent time there in his large well equipped billiard room. Doreen explained ‘He paid for the billiard room and table at 64 to make sure we had a big billiard room and table. He had a home with us in his last years. He was very keen on billiards and wanted all of us to play billiards and his ambition was to have me a girl playing. (Laughs)' . (DDS interviews)
The billiard room, with its own entrance at the back of the house, was Dan’s domain where he could spend time with his ‘cobbers’ and display his boating trophies.
Dan in his later years
After Joe O'Hara died, Dan now in his late 60s, came to live with Mary. Her older sons Isidro Charles and Leo Joseph had married - Leo to Irene Murray on 10 September 1924? and Isidro to Jessie Brice on 24 April, 1926 – and left home.
This photo of Dan and Mary with Mary’s second grandson Brian O’Hara (Isidro Charles’ eldest son) on a horse was taken when Brian was about two in 1928, possibly at 64 Forrest Avenue.
Mary was grandmother of two boys, Leo's son Ian who lived in Victoria and Brian, Isidro's son in Perth. And Dan was a great uncle. During the next few years Len married Grace Craig in 1929 and Doreen married Lou Daly Smith on 16 October 1933.
The family seem to have had a variety of pets. Doreen remembers a young kangaroo, orphaned in a road accident, being brought home and Mary had a series of cats one of which was fond of beetroot.
Dan continued to manage the family affairs with Mary and the family lawyer Walter Dwyer. Sometimes his eldest nephew Isidro Charles, who became a bank manager was also involved. A contract with Bon Marche, renewing the lease for another 13 years was signed by Dan on 17 September, 1936 a few months before he died.
Dan Oriol's signature as executor on Isidro's probate documents on 30 September, 1912.
Our cousin Tony (b.1930) , who lived with our grandmother Mary from 1932 when father Len’s marriage broke down in England, remembers ‘Uncle Dan’ in his last years.
‘He didn't work (perhaps you'd call him a playboy). He dealt in boats etc. buying and selling them shrewdly. He was a great guy, very good natured and wouldn't hurt anybody. I hung around him as a small boy. He had a bad leg. Some days he didn't get out of bed, other days he went down to the billiard room or the shed at the back. He was good with a saw. The story was he hurt his leg on a rig which was lifting up the engine of a boat and it didn't heal. He used to do things like buying flagpoles -- two were erected in the garden. When Nanna saw how much they cost that was the last time they let Dan go out and buy anything.
‘When I was at Loreto in the Terrace, he was in Westminster Hospital across the road. He died there about 1936, before the war.’ Tony also mentions his skill as a carpenter and a fine box he made, and his love of striped candy ‘which can’t have been good for his diabetes’. (Tony O’Hara 1990s)
Dan died 27 December 1936 at Westminster Hospital in Adelaide Terrace, aged 74 after a prostate operation, complicated by diabetes Dan Oriol and Joe O'Hara both had diabetes and both died from complications resulting from a prostate operation. Joe had died at St John's Subiaco in 1929 'in the Archbishop's room' (according to Lou Daly Smith) (51)
Dan's legacy
Dan is remembered with admiration and affection by the family for his achievements as a keen boat owner and a pioneer car driver and his genial personality. Tony and his father Len both became pilots and when he was younger Len raced cars. Tony would inherit Dan's love of cars and boats, and his father Len’s interest in flying and planes – and unfortunately he also inherited Dan’s diabetes.
Dan left his estate of £39,000 to his niece Doreen and his nephews Isidro, Leo, Len and Joseph with his sister Mary Margaret O'Hara the sole executrix and trustee. (51)
The next Generation: Chapter 1 Daniel Oriol - Uncle Dan
Footnotes.
1.Birth certificate No. Diocese of Perth FN Isidro Ch 5
2 Memorial of sale of Town Lot 16
3 Oriol family oral history {Oriol Papers)
4 Erickson Dictionary of Biography p.
5. T. Harris Timothy Harris ‘Isidro Oriol, furniture maker and entrepreneur’, New Norcia Studies No 2009, pp )p..71 and
D Erickson, Inspired by Light & Land: Designers and Makers in Western Australia 1829-1969, Perth, UWA Press (2019?) p.65 and correspondence with H. Natt (Date?)
6. CT Stannage The People of Perth: A Social History of Western Australia’s Capital City. Western Australia, Perth City Council,1979. p.96
7, Doreen Daly Smith interview in 1992
8 . (‘Perth Government Boy’s School’, The Perth Gazette and West Australian Times, 27 December, 1872
9. Oriol oral family history.
10. Daniel Oriol Birth Certificate, Catholic diocese of Perth. (CHECK DETAILS)
11. Tony O'Hara interview (1992)
12. 'News and Notes', West Australian, 23 February, 1895. p.5
MUNICIPAL PROSECUTIONS. (1898, September 14). The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 -
13. SHIPPING SS Adelaide , Daily News, 9 October 1892, p.2
14. Details of Cavendish and No 64
15 Stannard p.289
16. Between 1860 and 1890 the site of what is now Queen's Gardens was a clay pit and brickworks that provided bricks for many early buildings including the town hall. In 1897 the site was being transformed into a park which was opened to the public in October 1898, a year after the Oriol family moved in to Hillcrest. (Wikipedia)
17. .' Social Notes', West Australian , 9 September 1898, p.6
18. Stannage p. 291
19. MUNICIPAL PROSECUTIONS. (1898, September 14). The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 - 1950), p. 4. Retrieved October 22, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article82658744)
20. Advertising (1902, April 24). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 1
21. DDS memories of Uncle Dan
22. SHIPPING. PER ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH. ARRIVALS The West Australian, Saturday 8 September p.4, Article.
23 .(22) (A. John Parker, ‘Torque of the Marques’ from Automotive Archaeology of W.A. series, Motoring Nostalgia, 2004 (p.41)
24. Photo of the First Organised Motor in West Australia, Perth to Armadale, Dan Oriol is driving Harry Dyer's Oldsmobile, 2nd Car from Right (Source Brian O’Hara from York Motor Museum)
25, "Pioneering tradition: Vintage Cars" by Dennis Lignane, The West Australian, 15 December, 1989, Liftout p.11.)
26. ‘Flying at Bricklanding: A History of the Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club’, Stuart Joynt and Peter Hick, Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club, Perth, 2004. p. 14
27. Ibid p. 3
28. Ibid p.3
29. Ibid p,3
30. Ibid p.14
31. MOTOR BOAT RACING. (1910, May 21). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p.7
32. Ibid
33. Ibid. Photo of Challenger from full page coverage with photos in Western Mail, (Perth WA 1885-1954) Sat 4 June 1910 Page 26.
34. PERTH FLYING SQUADRON (1910, July 9). The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 - 1950), p. 6
35. Ibid
36. West Australian, Friday 2 September 1910, page 9
37. YACHTING. (1910, December 21). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 9.
38. Joynt and Hick p.11
39. West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), Saturday 25 April 1914, page 14
40. Oriol Family Oral History – Lou and Doreen Daly Smith memories
41. YACHTING. (1919, March 1). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 9.
42 David Jones Archives, Silverwater, NSW, 2012)
43. See various documents in Oriol Papers
44 Advertising (1902, April 24). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 1.
.45. NEWS AND NOTES. (1908, September 23). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 – 1954.
46. Oral history
47 See Oriol Papers
48. ‘An Architect's Claim—
The Acting Chief Justice yesterday gave judgment in the suit of Edwin Summerhayes, architect, of Perth, against Daniel Oriol, John P. Bridges, and Walter Dwyer as trustees for the late Mr Oriol, claiming £161 1s.9d., balance of money alleged to be due to him for professional services rendered. Mr. Summerhayes bill was for the sum of £339 11s. 9d., principally for services in connection with the extension of the Bon Marche premises.
The sum of £177 had been paid on account and the defendants argued that they had an agreement that he would do the work for a lesser amount. It was pleaded for the defence that by special arrangement the plaintiff had undertaken to render his services for the difference between the cost of the building and £6,500, which came to £177, the sum paid.’
The Acting Chief Justice gave judgment in favour of the defendants, with costs, as Mr Summerhayes had entered into the agreement knowing that £6,500 was all that was available for the building.
NEWS AND NOTES. (1913, November 21). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 6. Retrieved July 15, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26890815
49. Marriage Certificate :D. O'Hara and A. Daly Smith, St. Mary's Cathedral, Diocese of Perth. 16 October 1933.
.
50. O'Hara oral history
51. The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 - 1950), Monday 23 January 1939, page 1
References:
"Pioneering tradition: Vintage Cars" by Denis Lignane, The West Australian, 15 December, 1989, Liftout p.11.
‘Flying at Bricklanding: A History of the Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club’, Stuart Joynt and Peter Hick, Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club, Perth, 2004.
A. John Parker, ‘Torque of the Marques’ from Automotive Archaeology of W.A. series. Motoring Nostalgia, 220
ORIOL PAPERS and Hilaire's notes on interviews:
Tony O'Hara had his Birth Certificate, and remembers him as a small boy (Hilaire's Discussions in 1990s and later).
Interview with niece Doreen O’Hara, 5 November 1990, and other memories
Interviews with nephew Len O’Hara, 2002.
Family Bible (passport photo)
Marriage settlement
Newpaper details from NLA Trove website (see Footnotes within text)
Memorials of land purchases:
List those in connection with Town Lot Q 16, Bon Marche leases
Probate documents and wills
Income from and inheritance of Bon Marche site.
Compiled and researched by
Hilaire Natt October 2018
Revised for Blog 20 June 2024
Comments
Post a Comment